PC Set Up for Art
Earlier this year I decided to make some short vlogs to document the process of how I created my latest painting. This is the first of those vlogs where I bought a new PC specifically for the purpose of using it to run ZBrush, a digital sculpting app.
I wanted to use ZBrush to plan my paintings. I'd dabbled before in making 3-D models using clay to help me visualise elements of a painting. But I wanted more control of the lighting in the final model. ZBrush along with the renderer Keyshot gave me this level of control. Plus it meant I had to learn something new, which is always good.
With this in mind I went to a local PC shop, a small shop with a very knowledgeable fellow therein. He helped me to work out the specifications I needed to run this software. In the end I decided on this set up:
1. Intel Core i7-7700 Skt 1151 CPU + Fan (This is a nice fast processor.)
2. Asus B250-Pro Skt 1151 Motherboard
3. Asus DRW-24D5MT Int. DVD Drive
4. Crucial 525GB MX300 SSD ( I went for quite a large Solid State Drive so that I could easily fit on the software that I needed to run.)
5. Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" Hard Drive SATA6 64MB Cache (Plenty of memory here for any projects that I'll work on.)
6. Adata 8GB XPG DDR4 RAM
7. Asus GTX 1060 6GB Turbo Graphics Card ( I didn't need to go too giddy on the graphics card, I won't be playing any games on the PC.)
8. BenQ SW2700PT 27" IPS QHD Monitor
I researched the monitor for a long time and decided on the BenQ SW2700PT. It was big enough for what I needed and got generally good reviews from other artists.
This may not be the best PC set up for ZBrush but it is an excellent compromise between cost and performance. Spending more would have led to the law of diminishing returns.
I've now been using this set up for six months and I'm very happy with it. It runs ZBrush and Keyshot quite happily and is pretty darn fast. I haven't felt the need to get a second monitor although it is an option for the future.
In the next videos you'll see how I use this set up to create a plan for my acrylic painting.